Tuesday, July 23, 2013

You're Such a Hippie!

Yep... I've heard that before. I have also been told that the things I choose to do with my son are "weird". Sure... What my husband and I do with our son is not necessarily in the realm of "normal", in comparison to the rest of the world. Or maybe just this country... this United States is terribly wasteful. 

Just a little introduction, and a little bit about me: I am a 25 year old, stay at home mommy to a beautiful 7-month-old named Connor. He is the light of my life. My husband and I met 7 years ago as Freshmen in college. We were married in 2010, and welcomed our little boy last December, 7 days before our 2nd anniversary, on 12/12/12. 

Now, my husband's and my goal is to not be wasteful as we raise our son. For this reason, we cloth diaper. It is something that I love! We feel as though this is not only beneficial to our planet, but also to our wallets. I think it's important not to contribute to the landfills full of human waste. I feel that it's crucial to reduce paper waste. For this reason, I have also made my own cloth wipes and solution. I must admit that at first my husband was pretty skeptical. Hell, so was I. The first time I heard about people still using cloth diapers, I immediately thought of the little white get-ups with safety pins and thought "ew!". As I looked into cloth diapering more,  I was impressed with what I saw. I then brought all of this information to my husband, who said the same thing that I initially thought: "EW!" Haha! But then I showed him the up-front cost and helped him to understand that this was a one time expense for diapers! Admittedly, we did use disposables the first 2 weeks of our little man's life. But that was because I didn't quite understand how I would be able to make our diapers fit him so little. Later, I learned that there was an extra fold I could be doing, and we have used his cloth since he was 2 weeks old. I would love to get into much more detail, but right now I want you to get a "vibe" of what I am all about, here. So, I will come back to cloth diapers at a later date. 

I believe in breast feeding. I believe that breast is best. My son never as had formula, and it is my goal that he never will. I'm not sure when we will stop nursing, but we have been going strong now for 7 months, and have endured 3 bouts of mastits and 2 of them were back to back. It was not easy, but we were lucky to make it through without having to stop nursing. I love the nursing relationship that I have with my son and I adore the look on his face and the sound he makes when he is about to nurse! It sincerely cracks me up every time! 

More recently, we have begun implementing the baby-led weaning method of introducing solids. At first, little C wasn't so sure about all of it, but just over a month later, he regularly feeds himself very well, and it's so great to see him enjoying food! We still intend to avoid most meats, all dairy, all preservatives,  and processed sugars until at least a year old. I would like to go longer with most of these. And even more recently, I have been looking into the dangers of GMOs. I will post more about this later as well. And hope to share with you all, my journey to a GMO free diet. My husband and I are also about to start "juicing". For those of you who don't know what this is, juicing is when you take combinations of fruits and vegetables through a juicing machine. Different combinations of fruit and vegetable juices, are intended for different purposes, from weight loss, to helping you sleep, cholesterol health, heart health, and even lowering blood pressure. (There is so much more to it than this, I promise!) 

I have also been learning a lot about the dangers of basic cosmetics and household cleaners that we use everyday. I am working to move us toward truly all natural products that are safe in the home of a 7-month-old. 

Through my journeys, I will also be talking a lot about my chronic conditions, because they make me who I am. I hope to learn more and more about how to manage pain as a result of my EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) and my heart rate and blood pressure, as a result of my POTS (Postural Othosatic Tachycardia Syndrome). I can't wait to share more with you all! 

Have a beautiful day! 

Ashley

This is the Snap-Crackle-Crunch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment